History buffs will enjoy exploring Whitby, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port. Welcoming and countryside, this city attracts tourists with its churches and spas. A top sight in the city is Whitby Abbey.
- There are 205 hotels and other accommodation options in Whitby
- The closest major airport is in Durham (MME-Tees Valley), 32.9 mi (53 km) from the city centre
Getting around Whitby
With so many ways to get around, seeing Whitby is easy. If you want to see more of the area, ride aboard a train from Whitby Station, Ruswarp Station or Sleights Station. You can find out about water transport options at the local port.
Dressing for Whitby
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 11°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 2°C
- From April to June, the average is 20°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 22°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 16°C as the daytime average and 1°C as the night-time average
- About 18 millimetres of rain falls on Whitby each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 21°C, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C