Search Hostels in Portsmouth
Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Meal plans available
Featured Hostels in Portsmouth
Other property types in Portsmouth
ibis Portsmouth Centre
Reviewed on 19 Oct 2020
Village Hotel Portsmouth
Reviewed on 5 Sep 2020
Ship Leopard Boutique Hotel
Reviewed on 8 Oct 2020
What Is a Hostel?
If you're searching for somewhere affordable to stay in Portsmouth, a hostel might be a great choice. These dorm-style accommodation options come in lots of forms, but they all have a few qualities in common:
- Low prices
- A social environment
- Shared rooms (though many have private options too)
By going with a hostel in Portsmouth, you can reduce your spending on accommodation and use more of your money for exploring during your holiday. You can check out this destination's cultural highlights, such as its museums and historic sites.
When Is the Best Time to Visit Portsmouth?
The weather can be important when you want to venture out and explore, so here's some information that might be helpful:
- The hottest months are typically August and July, while January and February are the coldest months
- January-March: Daytime temperatures average 12° C and night-time temperatures average 3° C
- April-June: 21° C is the daytime average and 5° C is the night-time average
- July-September: Daytime averages are around 22° C and night-time averages are around 10° C
- October-December: The average temperatures are 17° C during the day and 5° C at night
- Rainfall averages 27 inches in a year
What Can I Do in Portsmouth?
Depending on what you're interested in, you might enjoy these places to visit:Top Sights
- Gunwharf Quays
- Spinnaker Tower
- Fishbourne Roman Palace
- Farlington Marshes
- Titchfield Haven National Nature Reserve
- Staunton Country Park
- Portsmouth Guildhall
- Charles Dickens Birthplace
- HMS Warrior
Overall, Portsmouth is known for its:
- Historical sites
How to Get to Portsmouth and Around the Area
You can find the closest airport in Southampton (SOU), located 15.7 mi (25.3 km) from the city centre. Once you've arrived, you might want to make use of public transport. To check out more of the area, catch a train at Portsmouth & Southsea Station, Portsmouth Harbour Station or Portsmouth Fratton Station.